If you are interested in becoming part of an exceptional team of legal professionals, then Baker Newby LLP is interested in you! The lawyers and support staff of Baker Newby LLP contribute to the success of our clients and the Firm by exceptional client-focused relationships, together with building strong team skills.
Open and effective communication, innovation and superior performance are the standard by which we ensure our clients continually receive the very best legal services available. We foster outstanding teamwork within our Firm by combining mutual respect, loyalty and trust with an ongoing dedication to performance excellence and continuing education.
Baker Newby LLP provides a healthy, positive and caring atmosphere which enables both their professional and personal goals and, to that end, we are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package that is very competitive.
We are looking for an intermediate legal assistant with at least 5 years experience. Your position involves assisting in the day to day management of 150 to 200 files; opening and closing files; billing files monthly; maintaining a limitation journal (bf system); drafting correspondence; preparing and filing pleadings; interlocutory applications/desk order applications and other legal documents; preparing and registering Land Title documents; scheduling discoveries, mediations, trials and appeals; scheduling meetings; receiving instructions from clients; and performing property and asset searches.
The programs you are required to be proficient in are:
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel
- Adobe Acrobat
- BC Online (Land Title, BC Assessment, BC Registry, Personal Property Registry)
- Land Title Survey Authority – Electronic Filing System
- Court Services Online Preferred candidates will have strong knowledge of the following:
- Supreme Court Rules
- Small Claims Rules
- Builders Lien Act
- Court Order Enforcement Act
- Creditors Remedies
While we appreciate all applications, only those experienced applicants who are considered will be contacted.
Established in 1937, Baker Newby LLP is one of the largest law firms in the Fraser Valley with offices in Chilliwack and Abbotsford. We are currently considering applications for the following positions:
1. Experienced General Solicitors Assistant for our Chilliwack office. Preferred candidates will have land and commercial transaction experience. This could be an interesting opportunity for conveyancers looking to expand their exposure to other solicitor areas of law, drawing on their strong foundations with a land or commercial deals.
2. Senior Real Estate Assistant for our Chilliwack office. Some specific duties of this position will include:
– Land assembly through to subdivision process;
– Construction financing;
– Sales including taking deposits, investing deposits if applicable;
– Drafting easements/rights of ways;
– Commercial real estate transactions;
– Some residential real estate transactions including purchases, sales, and refinances;
– All trust and accounting with respect to matters;
– Liason with clients, realtors, lenders and city officials.
Preferred candidates may have experience with Amicus and/or ESILaw. While we appreciate all applications, only those applicants who possess appropriate experience in this area of law will be considered for an interview.
Baker Newby LLP is well aware of the perception that Fraser Valley law firms may pay less than Downtown firms. While we admit this may be true for some junior positions, know that we are committed to offering very competitive salaries when considering senior experienced assistants and paralegals from outside of the Fraser Valley. If you are looking to reconnect with existing roots, or have a desire to develop new roots in the beautiful Fraser Valley, we invite you to consider Baker Newby LLP.