Adnan Habib is an experienced litigation lawyer and mediator dedicated to resolving construction
and complex commercial disputes. These include construction law cases related to bonds,
contaminated sites, delay claims, deficiency claims, insurance coverage, liens, leaky buildings and
priority disputes. A significant component of Adnan’s practice involves insolvency matters
including secured and unsecured realizations, receiverships, foreclosures, CCAA matters, lease
defaults, bankruptcy, breach of trust and fraud.
Adnan takes a pragmatic approach to the resolution of disputes. He has helped private and public
owners, first nations, developers, general contractors, consultants, insurers, financial institutions,
private lenders, receivers, strata corporations, subcontractors and suppliers in a wide variety of
Adnan has appeared before all levels of Court in British Columbia. He is committed to the use of
alternate dispute resolution.
Adnan graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
in 1989 and a Bachelor of Laws in 1992. He received intensive mediation training from the Straus
Institute of Dispute Resolution at the Pepperdine University School of Law. He was called to the
Bar in 1993 and has been a partner since January 2000.
He served as a managing partner from January 2005 to June 2018. During this time, he dealt with
the day to day issues involved in running a business, worked collaboratively with others in making
difficult decisions and provided leadership to the firm.
Adnan is active with various associations. He has served as Vice-President (Education & Training)
for the Fraser Valley Home Builders’ Association, is a member of the Construction Law,
Insolvency and Insurance Subsections of the Canadian Bar Association, Vancouver Regional
Construction Association, the Young Insolvency Professionals Group and American Bar
Adnan is a frequent lecturer at conferences and seminars sponsored by a variety of associations
including the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, the Pacific Business and
Law Institute and various chapters of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association.
2018 Pepperdine University School of Law
Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
“Mediating the Litigated Case”
1992 University of Saskatchewan
Bachelor of Laws
1985 University of Saskatchewan
Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
Baker Newby LLP
November 1992 to present
Current Position: Partner
Previous Positions Held:
- Managing Partner January 2005 to June 2018
- Partner, 2000 to 2005
- Associate, 1993 to 2000
- Articled Student, November 1992 to November 1993
- Member and former Vice President of Canadian Home Builders Association (Fraser Valley)
- Board member and former President of Fraser Valley Child Development Centre, United Way of Fraser Valley, Canadian Bar Association (Construction, Insurance and Insolvency Subsections), Vancouver Regional Construction Association
- Member of Young Insolvency Professionals Group
- Member of the American Bar Association
(a) Construction Component
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of contractors, subcontractors and/or their respective insurers involved in “leaky building” lawsuits
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of insurers with respect to aviation claims
- Acting as plaintiff’s counsel to Strata Corporations and other owners to recover “leaky building” repair costs
- Counsel to owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in numerous builders lien cases
- Counsel to owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in numerous disputes arising from construction delays, defective work, contract termination, breach of trust and insolvencies
- Counsel to owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in claims on performance bonds and labour and material payment bonds
(b) Insolvency Component
- Counsel to various lenders on commercial foreclosures involving agricultural lands, commercial buildings and strata titled buildings and realization pursuant to the provisions of the Personal Property Security Act
- Counsel to various lenders regarding unsecured claims involving debt and guarantee claims, shortfalls with respect to foreclosure proceedings and fraudulent transactions
- Counsel to Credit Union in successful defence of multimillion dollar claim against it and its account manager with respect to alleged improvident realization
- Counsel to Credit Union and Lien Claimants in CCAA actions
- Counsel to Creditors in pursuant of claim pursuant to s. 38 of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Counsel to Receiver in pursuant of claim against contractor for provision of defective input machinery regarding Chilliwack fertilizer plant
- Counsel to Lien Claimants in defeating Credit Union’s claim to priority under a registered mortgage
- Counsel to Lien Claimants in defeating Canada Revenue Agency’s superpriority claim to holdback funds
- Counsel to Credit Union in pursuing and settling claims against appraisers for foreclosure shortfall suffered by Credit Union
Team Members Blog Posts
Family violence is thought to be on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic. A new law was recently passed to...
Effective October 1, 2020, BC’s Ministry of Finance has announced that every private company incorporated under the B.C. Business Corporations...
How can we help you?
People hire lawyers for advice and expertise all of the time, in all kinds of situations. In good times as well as bad, with a lawyer’s help, individuals and businesses understand and secure their legal rights and financial interests.