It is with heavy but an understanding heart that throughout the years we see Legal Assistants depart some of our departments for new opportunities, in new communities, or for new personal considerations. So while we wish them every personal and professional success, this also allows us the privilege to be able to offer quality, entry and mid-level positions that do not frequently arise.
Established in 1937, Baker Newby is one of the largest and most established law firms in the Fraser Valley. We presently have openings in both our Chilliwack and Abbotsford offices for Legal Administrative Assistants within four departments:
• Family Law (Chilliwack)
• Civil Litigation (Abbotsford)
• Motor Vehicle Litigation (Abbotsford)
• Corporate (Chilliwack)
All these positions could be ideal for candidates with some law firm exposure, but perhaps still less than one year of experience, or having just performed a practicum in the past.
You would report most directly to the Department’s Senior Paralegal/Legal Assistants. This provides an excellent and encouraging environment for continued training, which offers great opportunity for younger legal assistants to start and accelerate their careers.
Experience with either of Amicus or ESILaw would be considered an asset, in addition to previous experience in any professional services environment. Candidates must have their legal administrative assistant certificate, and possess very strong computer skills, as we work in an ever increasing paperless practice.
While we appreciate all interest, only those eligible to be considered for an interview will be contacted. Some specific duties of the position offered.
Family Law Assistant – Chilliwack
Provide administrative support to the Family Law practice in a supporting role to the senior Family Law assistants:
• Maintaining file organization and assisting with organizing document binders and files;
• Prepare general correspondence;
• Deal directly with clients and other counsel;
• Scheduling client appointments, trials, examinations for discovery and mediations; and
• Complete other administrative tasks as needed.
Corporate Assistant – Chilliwack
Assisting the Corporate Department, with work routed through the Corporate Paralegal:
• Filing of correspondence, accounts, documents etc.;
• Processing document requests from clients, accountants, banks and other departments;
• Doing company searches;
• Doing conflict searches;
• Sorting mail and forwarding correspondence to clients, accountants etc.;
• Opening and closing files;
• Breaking down files and reorganizing shelving units; and
• Preparing letters, documents and accounts relating to annual matters, bonuses, dividends, incorporations, share transfers, allotments, changes of directors and officers, etc.
Civil Litigation Assistant – Abbotsford
Assisting a Commercial Litigation Partner and a Designated Paralegal, with duties to include:
• Assisting in the day to day management of files (opening and closing files, electronic filing and billing files monthly);
• Drafting correspondence, Supreme and Small Claims forms and other materials;
• Scheduling client meetings, court appearances, mediations and examinations;
• Performing searches in various databases;
• Filing court documents and land title documents;
• Casual reception coverage; and
• Receiving instructions from lawyers and paralegals.
MVA Litigation Assistant – Abbotsford
Assisting a Motor Vehicle Litigation Partner and a two Paralegals, with duties to include:
• Conflict searches;
• Prepare intake materials for initial meetings;
• Opening files;
• Preparing initial letters;
• Filing for lawyers and senior staff on a daily basis;
• Photocopying and scanning as requested;
• Maintain Request Lists;
• Printing photos from CDs or emails and duplicating CDs and DVDs;
• Create and update Trial Binders and indexes;
• IME Coordination;
• Create and update pleadings indexes;
• Prepare authorizations;
• Prepare standard letters, using precedents;
• Request cheques, pay invoices, maintain Accounting folders;
• Prepare and maintain Special Damages Lists;
• Arrange travel and accommodations where necessary for lawyer or client;
• Casual reception coverage; and
• Close files.