We are currently seeking applicants for a General Solicitors Legal Assistant. Preferred candidates may have Estate Planning, Estate Administration or Real Estate/Commercial Law experience.
This position may be suitable for Legal Assistants with specialized experience in one area of a Solicitor’s practice, looking for a broader solicitor assistant career experience.
Duties & responsibilities: General Solicitors Assistant
– Opening files and all related activities including Conflict Searches, database entry and preparing retainer agreements
– Coordinating and booking appointments;
– Time entry; Billing and enclosure letters, and following up on A/R;
– Miscellaneous administrative including paying bills, arranging couriers and database updates;
– Preparing Estate Planning documents for signing
– Reporting on Estate planning, Financing, property transfers etc.
– Drafting and preparing correspondence from dictation
More specific to land and commercial transactions:
– Property searches through LTSA, BCeID and BC Online;
– Draft Mortgage discharge/payout documents
– Draft various Statement of Adjustments
– Post Amalgamation updating Land Titles
– Retrieving relevant corporate documents
– Draft Land Owner Transparency Declarations and Reports when applicable;
Important attributes of the successful candidate will include organizational skills, patience, the ability to prioritize, multitasking and strong communication skills with both clients and colleagues.
The successful candidate will have meticulous attention to detail, the ability to work independently and confidently, and possess very strong computer skills as we work in an ever-increasing paperless practice.
Preferred candidates willbe familiar with LTSA and BC Online, and may have experience with transcription software and Amicus or ESILaw.
Established in 1937, Baker Newby LLP is one of the largest Fraser Valley law firm with offices in Chilliwack and Abbotsford. We are looking for applicants with a desire to reconnect with existing roots in Abbotsford or Chilliwack, or a desire to develop new roots in the beautiful Fraser Valley. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.