We recognize that our ability to maintain our position as one of the leading firms in British Columbia depends on our continuing commitment to add dynamic new lawyers to our firm. As such, we are always looking for qualified lawyers to join our team.
If you are interested in a position with Baker Newby LLP, please forward your resumé to the attention of the Administrator. Resumés may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- online (email@example.com),
- by fax (1-604-792-8711); or
- by mail to the attention of the administrator
- P.O Box 390, 9259 Main Street, Chilliwack, BC V2P 6K2
Every resumé is reviewed and responded to, and you will be called for an interview if you will fit our current or anticipated requirements.
Positions Currently Available
- Baker Newby LLP has openings for a 5+ years call litigators.
We are always looking for qualified associates. If you are interested in a career with Baker Newby LLP please forward your resume to our Managing Partner, Cristen Gleeson at our Chilliwack office.
Quality Work, Experience and Education
Baker Newby LLP will provide you with not just quantity, but quality, work. Baker Newby LLP offers the following:
- Baker Newby LLP services small, medium and large clients based in British Columbia and other parts of the world.
- From the start you will have direct contact with clients, conduct of your own files and will be encouraged to develop a client base. As a litigator, you will get immediate court room experience through chambers applications, small claims proceedings, and trials.
- We recognize that different individuals, and particularly different levels of call, will each start with different experience and develop at different speeds. Our primary goal, particularly with more junior lawyers, is to ensure that they develop strong technical and practical skills. Associates at our firm are assigned a Mentor, being either a senior associate or a partner, to assist them in any way possible. Baker Newby LLP has an “open door” which encourages associates to discuss matters with any other member of the firm.
- As part of our commitment to develop our new lawyers, we encourage Continuing Legal Education courses, and have developed “Baker Newby University”. “BNU” is a quarterly evening seminar on a variety of practical topics ranging from cross-examinations to file management. BNU is a great opportunity to learn all those “real” issues that they never taught you in law school!
- We also strive to provide new associates with a sense of belonging to our organization by hosting a number of social events throughout the year aimed at bringing the “team” together in a more relaxed environment.
Every associate will have access to all of the firm’s available resources and support, including the following:
- One of the firm’s greatest strengths is its highly experienced, qualified and friendly staff. Every associate will have access to a secretary, and other staff in accounting, word processing corporate, and administration.
- Baker Newby LLP recognizes the critical role of technology. We are constantly monitoring and upgrading our technology.
- Each associate has a quality computer on his/her desktop with direct Internet and e-mail access. In addition, where required, each associate will be provided a cellular phone for his/her use.
Each associate also has his/her own office! And with outside windows, no less! (No sharing and no broom closets!)
- For the litigators, our Abbotsford office is located only 1 km from the Abbotsford Courthouse and in Chilliwack our office is located within easy walking distance (approximately two blocks) from a new, state-of-the-art Courthouse.
Baker Newby LLP pays a salary which is competitive with other firms in the Fraser Valley primarily based on experience and ability. Baker Newby LLP’s standard benefits include:
- medical, dental, extended health
- mileage for all work-related travel
- payment of practice fees/professional insurance
Some additional benefits provided by Baker Newby LLP include the following:
- Free parking when available in our parking lot
- A “lawyer’s lunch” every Monday
- A full-firm retreat (including spouses/significant others) every year.
We encourage a balanced life style. Whether your “outside” interests include water sports, golf, mountain biking or the arts, the Fraser Valley meets your needs! The Fraser Valley is a great place to raise a family, with a significantly lower cost of living. Many of our partners, associates and staff have young families. For more details on lifestyle, check out our “Living in the Valley” page.
We organize and host a number of social events to which everyone is welcome. These include the Christmas party, a summer family picnic, an inter-office softball game, and a firm softball team — the Baker Newby Borg (Resistance is Futile)!
We encourage our lawyers in supporting the community and participating in community organizations. Whether it is Rotary, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, the United Way, the Chamber of Commerce or any other community organization of interest to you, your involvement is appreciated and supported!
While we appreciate all applications, only those experienced applicants who are considered will be contacted.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org