For more information on Baker Newby, call Tim C. Wurtz, Administrator at (604) 792-1376. Apply online to email@example.com.
We have immediate career opportunities for lawyers (ideally two to five years’ call) in construction & Civil Litigation, Family Law, and General Solicitors practice areas.
What you can expect from us:
- Flexibility with respect to hybrid work-from-home options, upon discussion, and upon meeting certain criteria, should that be something you would wish to pursue.
- An open door. Of course there will be times when we have meetings or urgent projects to complete, but we encourage and foster open communication whenever possible. We have approachable senior lawyers and a responsive Management team. We want to know how we can help you.
- Support staff and equipment. We have highly experienced staff and departments to assist you. We all work as a team, to help you achieve success. Employment comes with a laptop, mobile for off-site work and dockable when in the office. We maintain a progressive and robust IT infrastructure for a mid-sized firm.
- A team approach. We will be successful if you are successful. It is that simple. In addition to ongoing mentorship, both on substantive legal issues and on business and practice development matters, we will work with you on complex commercial transactions and comprehensive civil and commercial litigation matters, to achieve practical, successful results for our clients.
- A competitive compensation structure. During your first three years of call, our base salary is competitive with other Firms throughout the Fraser Valley. In subsequent years of call, we also provide a bonus compensation model based on billings in addition to the base salary. Our focus is for you to grow and develop as a lawyer first, prior to feeling pressure with respect to billings.
- Lots of work! We have a great client base which provides us (and you) with a vast array of diverse, interesting and challenging work.
What we expect from you:
- Hard work. Make your hard work in law school pay off. You have worked for this. We have worked for this. Let’s work together to create a legal legacy that you can be proud of.
- Quality work. There is no substitute for quality. We hold ourselves to an extremely high level of distinction. You will have access to high-quality work, and you will not need to worry about having enough.
- An entrepreneurial spirit. We are lawyers, but we are also business people. We understand that efficiencies, strategies and practice planning are all important facets of working within a private practice. We also recognize the importance of and support community involvement.
- A good attitude. Everyone brings a personality to the table, and we welcome a broad and diverse range of driven professionals who want to succeed. We treat our peers, staff and clients with respect, dignity and pride. We expect nothing less of all lawyers who seek to join Baker Newby.
Outside of your legal practice, the Fraser Valley is a great place to live with many recreational benefits. The cost of living is lower than Vancouver. Travel to and from the office is easier and quicker. There is an abundance of activities and amenities for you in this beautiful place. The arts flourish here, and if you like the outdoors, you will love the Fraser Valley: golf, fishing, hiking, the mountains and lakes are only minutes away. Both Abbotsford and Chilliwack provide a vibrant mix of urban and country.
The legal profession has seen rapid and dramatic changes over the last few years. The implementation of no-fault insurance has resulted in many firms scrambling to change their cornerstone practice areas, and many lawyers having to relearn new areas of law. The pandemic further changed the legal landscape to work-from-home or hybrid work models, impacting such key historical elements of the successful law firm as social interaction, mentoring and culture.
With so many challenges and uncertainties, are you looking to re-engage with a firm which has been ahead of the curve on these changes? A firm with not only a well-established past but a vision for the future? Do you want to rejoin a supportive office environment without having to commute into Vancouver to do so?
At Baker Newby, we see a bright future and continue to work towards it. We have renovated our Chilliwack office, and are expanding our Abbotsford office. So if you are also looking to the future, consider joining our team. Fortis Fortuna adiuvat!